The Moby Dick Read-a-Long continues through July, but so far? So fun. We’ve got a small group, but I love having the weekly writing prompt, and I’ve had discussions both illuminating and hilarious with my readalongers. I’m not used to having to talk about a book before I’m finished, so it’s taking me out of my comfort zone. That’s a good thing, I believe.
I’ve actually finished Moby-Dick, way ahead of schedule, and I’m not sure how I’m going to sum it up. It’s one of those classics that’s so widely regarded that it seems presumptuous to even give it a rating. Who am I to give it four stars?
Blog News and Bookish Happenings
- I signed up for #AusteninAugust over at Roof Beam Reader. I loved Persuasion (still need to review it, though) and I’m going to tackle Northanger Abbey for this event, and maybe try Edmonton author Krista Ball‘s P&P Adaptation, First (Wrong) Impressions.
- The lovely folks at Edmonton’s LitFest, a nonfiction festival, sent me a copy of Rosina, The Midwife by Jessica Kluthe, which is exciting all on its own, but then I found out (through the magic of Twitter) that the super secret, unannounced headliner is Kelly Oxford (see my review of her book here.) LitFest happens in October and you’ll be hearing more about it, so stay tuned.
- None. Reading MDick.
- Rosina, The Midwife by Jessica Kluthe. I missed Jessica’s launch a few months ago, and I’m so excited to have a copy, which I hope to have signed in the future!
- See my post on what to read after reading Moby-Dick for my other acquistions. Let’s just say that my Kobo is a Gatsby in the streets and a Grey in the sheets, if you know what I mean. On account of my The Great Gatsby Kobo cover.
Books I Want to Read
- Bone and Bread by Saleema Nawaz. Lots of buzz on this Canadian author. Sign me up.
- We Are Water: A Novel by Wally Lamb. He writes, I read.
- Ulysses by James Joyce. Read this review and tell me you don`t want to take the plunge.
On the Blog
#MobyDick2013 – Moby Dick Read-A-Long
Events, Memes, and Randomness
What’s Next on Reading in Bed
#MobyDick2013 wraps up, and still workin’ on that Fall Preview. Oh, and I’m on vacation for the last two weeks of July and taking a social media break in August. So if you usually find me on Twitter, follow me by email!