Am I allowed to do a round up post when I’ve obtained and read zero books this month? I do need a way to publish my Christmas wish list for certain secret Santas, so I’m going to say, “yes!”
Books Obtained and Read
- None. That was easy.
- Okay, I did read like 350 or 400 pages of Infinite Jest over November. That’s pretty much a book.
Books I Want to Read
Here are the top ten books I’d like to own in the near future, i.e. Christmas!*
- The Fault in Our Stars by John Green – I want this to be my next read, so it’s first on my list. Have I mentioned that I have a fangirlish crush on this guy? I mean watch this. Or this. Love him.
- 1,001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2012 Edition) – I own the original, but I’d love to have the updated version. These are beautiful books with lots of colour pictures. Great gift idea for anyone bookish!
- Strange Heaven by Lynn Coady – my local author pick, and sounds right up my alley in terms of troubled kids, family dysfunction and the East Coast setting.
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck – I don’t own this book, which is ridiculous considering it’s my favourite read of like the past two years (pending completion of IJ).
- Mercy Among the Children by David Adams Richards – I gave my copy away at a book swap. I need to own this book.
- Dear Life by Alice Munro – After a year of long reads, I think I’ll be in the mood for some short stories. Nobody does it better than Alice Munro… unless…
- Astray by Emma Donoghue – I’m a huge fan of Emma Donoghue and she released a short story collection this year.
- The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir – Because: feminism.
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell – I’m going to read more classics written by female authors next year. I loved the mini-series, so this seems like a good place to start.
- When God Was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman – Something about this book keeps nagging at me. Strange title.
*I’ve been joking that reading Sleeping Beauty made me want to read 50 Shades. If someone buys it for me, I will read it. But I reserve the right to make snarky blog posts/live-tweet my disgust/roll my eyes with abandon!
The Month Ahead
- Finish Infinite Jest. There will be much rejoicing.
- Submit a story to The 40 Below Project. This is a stretch goal for me and my first time submitting anything! Check out the website and wish me luck! I’m (trying) to write about what it’s like to experience a sudden 20 degree drop in temperature. Also about teenage drama (what else?)
- Get through the week-long extravaganza that is Benjamin’s 3rd birthday and Christmas.
Just for fun, here are some interesting search terms that have landed on the blog.
- “erotic exerpts from the claiming of sleeping beauty anne rice” – yeah… getting a lot of these since my review went up…
- “adult words with friends” – um, do I want to know?
- “i enjoyed reading heart of darkness” – well, that makes two of us!
- “runny romantic letters for him” – it is the season for runny letters!
- “how you know you are a book snob” – if you have to ask….
- “invisible woman sex fanfic” – sorry to disappoint you.