No, there was no roundup for December. Here it is: I was reading Infinite Jest. The end. Since then, things have been a little more varied. Here’s what up in my reading world.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morganstein, borrowed from Cait at The Angry Vegan. Review coming soon. Preview: Meh.
- The Fault in our Stars by John Green, a gift from Ambur at Burning Impossibly Bright. Review coming soon. Preview: Loved it. And, holy literary allusions, Batman!
- North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, another gift from Ambur, at The Edmonton Book Bloggers Christmas party!
- The Magic of Saida by M.G. Vassanji, courtesy of Brie at Eat Books.
- Belinda’s Rings by Corinna Chong, courtesy of @mattbowes at NeWest Press
- The Paradise Engine by Rebecca Campbell (Advance Reader Copy), also courtesy of NeWest Press
Books I Want to Read
- Beloved by Toni Morrison, because of this review by Rob Delaney
- Away by Jane Urquhart, because it’s part of Canada Reads
- The Midwife by Jennifer Worth because of this review on LindyLit
- Rosina, The Midwife by Jessica Kluthe, because she’s a local author and tweep AND I love a good multi-generational saga.
- The Winter King by Bernard Cornwall because of this review on The Book-A-Week Project (which is updated, finally, yay!)
- Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese because it’s part of Canada Reads
- Dad Says He Saw You At The Mall by Ken Sparling. Can’t remember where I came across it but it sounds so weird that I must find out more.
So, in case you missed it up in “Books Obtained,” Edmonton’s NeWest Press sent me two books to review. Now, I know this is par for the course for many book bloggers, but this is the first time I’ve received review copies of anything, and, the first time I’ve received mail address to “Reading in Bed.” I’m a legit book blogger now!
I’ve got just under two week until I’m back to work, and the kids are in daycare now, so I’m hoping to plug away at the blog a bit more than usual till then. Apparently I will NOT be able to blog at work because my review of Sleeping Beauty got reading-in-bed.com flagged as porn. Probably for the best!
Lastly, I must give a shout out to Twitter Grammar Nerds @vgrabia, @andrewhorton, and @islandniles who helped me figure out that “roundup” in the post title is one word. It looks wrong to me, but, who am I to argue with strangers on Twitter?